Saturday, January 31, 2015

Serena Williams wins Australian Open..beats Maria Sharapova yet again in straight sets


Serena Williams is slowly becoming a legend..that's if she isn't already! The 33 year old American claims 19th grand slam title today at Melborne.
The victory extended Williams’ extraordinary domination of Russia's Sharapova, the world number two, who has now lost to Serena 16 times in a row,dating back to 2004 but the Russian could be proud of her performance in a final of the highest quality. In the second set in particular Williams’ serve,which is often described as the greatest in the history of the women’s game, was all that separated her from the world No 2.

 Williams has been suffering with a cold for the last week and had lasted only five minutes of a practice session on Friday. She was still under the weather in the final, which was evident when she left the court as play was held up for 12 minutes early in the first set because of rain. And even at that she could still pull through and claim her Australian Open title.
 “I ended up throwing up,” Williams said later. “I think that helped me when I got everything out of me, cleared my chest out. I just got a really bad cold and a really bad cough. Usually when that happens, you stay in bed and don’t play matches every other day and practise every day.”

Credit:BBC Sport

No comments:

Post a Comment